St Edmund Campion Catholic School
Achieving Together Through Christ
Mission Statement and Curriculum Intent
Our Catholic mission is to educate, develop and inspire every unique child entrusted to our care to be the person that God calls them to be. Through Christ, our children will be empowered to thrive academically and spiritually within a community of dignity, love and respect.
Our Catholic mission
Our skilled staff act as role models for all our students. The curriculum and learning experience is rooted in the Gospel values and is at the heart of all we do. We have fostered a culture of spirituality, dignity and moral purpose and expect everyone in our school community to treat each other with the love and respect that Jesus himself showed to others. Through our Catholic Social Teaching and our commitment to charity work we encourage a culture of putting others before ourselves
Is to educate, develop and inspire
We embody a culture of excellence and professionalism. Through our knowledge-engaged curriculum we provide all students with a breadth of opportunities to enhance their life chances and empower them beyond school life. The curriculum fosters a love of learning and is well delivered by highly skilled subject experts. Our commitment to professional development is high and comprises internal high-quality CPD, coaching programmes as well as nationally recognised external programmes such as the NPQs (National Professional Qualifications).
Our wider curriculum includes a plethora of opportunities for all students to enhance their own experiences and understandings of the world around them. The super learning day and tutor programmes incorporate metacognitive skills through our VESPAR (Vision, Effort, Systems, Practice, Attitude and Resilience) programme as well as developing students’ knowledge of careers, financial management, an understanding of current affairs, RSHE and literacy.
every unique child
Our pupils are children of God, and we recognise every child’s individuality and diversity regardless of background or ability. We welcome and value students from every background, faith and culture.
entrusted to our care
We ensure a respectful and disciplined environment within high-quality pastoral care and support. Every child knows who to go to if they feel unsafe or need someone to talk to. Students are educated to keep themselves safe within a high-quality pastoral and RSHE curriculum and via our super learning days.
to be the person God calls them to be
We believe that every child is a child of God, and the individuality of every child is recognised. Pupils are well supported to become the very best people they can be through a culture of high expectations. Our excellent careers guidance at all key stages helps every student to understand what they need to know for their future pathways
Through Christ our children will be empowered to thrive academically
Our motto ‘Achieving Together Through Christ’ recognises how Christ’s example for us all leads to all students having every opportunity to achieve excellent outcomes taught through our engaging and relevant curriculum. We believe every child can be successful and within our culture of high expectations for all, no child is left behind. We foster a culture of the right support at the right time to overcome any barriers students face whether that be SEND, EAL, disadvantage or emotional needs.
and spiritually within a community of dignity, love and respect.
Every child is encouraged to develop themselves personally through the Catholic faith and ethos of St Edmund Campion Catholic school. Students learn of the Jesuit values and are encouraged daily to meet these values and treat each other as Jesus showed us. We expect every student to be responsible citizens and promote a community of peace, tolerance, justice and service. Our staff are well looked after and in turn are committed to showing our students dignity, love and respect.
The key aim of the curriculum at St Edmund Campion is to educate, develop and inspire every unique child entrusted to our care to be the person that God calls them to be. Through Christ, our children will be empowered to thrive academically and spiritually within a community of dignity, love and respect.
Our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of all learners and will provide:
- A breadth of knowledge and opportunity for every child regardless of background. It will be a curriculum and learning experience rooted in the Gospel values and the teaching of Jesus Christ
- A broad yet balanced tapestry of academic, social, moral, cultural and spiritual development
- Subject learning that takes students beyond qualifications and prepares them for life beyond school
- Empowerment to our students so that they leave with a legacy of knowledge and ideas which they can draw on in the future
- Numerous opportunities to practise new skills and learning so that pupils’ confidence is built over time
- A broad, ambitious and appropriately demanding learning experience for all
- A well-sequenced and challenging curriculum that is vertically integrated and develops ordered schema in pupils’ long-term memory and ensures progression through the Key Stages
- Challenge, rigour and coherence through our learning journey
- Equity for all our students and a commitment to addressing social disadvantage
- A strong commitment to reading
- A significant focus on retrieval and long-term memory supported through our whole school approach to homework and assessment.