The English Department
- Mrs S Mulgrew – Head of Faculty
- Mrs R Hannan – Lead Practitioner
- Mrs L Roden- Learning Leader English
- Mrs N Lewis – Learning Leader English
- Mrs E Taintey – English Teacher and Head of Y7
- Miss G Davenport – English Teacher
- Mrs J Quoroll – Deputy Headteacher English
- Mrs A Warom – Assistant Headteacher English
- Mr N Morris – Assistant Headteacher English
- Mrs S Griffiths - Director of Sixth Form English
The vision of the English department is to equip all students with an appreciation for the written and spoken word. We aim to engender a love of reading which lasts into adulthood. We want our students to be confident with their use of the English language so that they can write creatively and with fluency and speak in public with confidence. Our aim is to produce critical readers who have the confidence to question and analyse the reading material in order to deepen their understanding. We want them to be able to debate ideas with their peers with confidence and be able to support their opinions with judicious reference to the text.
Our curriculum is varied and diverse and encompasses the wide range of Literature available from Greek Myths, Arthurian Legends, Shakespeare, Romantic poetry, poetry from other cultures, right through to modern novels and plays. We want students to experience the beauty and richness of language in many forms and believe that our curriculum offers this. Students in KS4 study for two GCSEs; English Language and English Literature. We also offer A Level English Literature in the sixth form.
GCSE English Language - https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/english/gcse/english-language-8700
GCSE English Literature - https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/english/gcse/english-literature-8702