The Computing and ICT Department
- Mr B Horton – Head of Faculty
- Mr A Boylan – Computing and ICT Teacher
- Mr M Jilali – Computing and ICT Teacher
Computing and IT are an integral aspect of modern life and we aim to equip students with the knowledge and skills they need to succeed in an increasingly technological society. Students will need to have a high level of Digital Literacy to access all the opportunities which await them in their adult lives. ‘The computer is the most empowering tool that has ever been created’ (Bill Gates) and it is our aim to ensure these opportunities can be fully explored and utilised through their learning of Computing. At Key Stage 3 the curriculum has been carefully designed to ensure students have a broad knowledge of Computing and coding. On the students journey through Computing starting in Year 7 they will learn about Digital Literacy and online safety. This will then move onto Computational Thinking and the four pillars of Computer Science, Algorithms, Decomposition, Abstraction and Pattern Recognition. From this core knowledge students will then learn how to think like a computer and develop sequenced Algorithms. Computer programming in Python then forms a large part of the curriculum where students learn how to code. Moving through Key Stage three students learn how to use complex programming techniques or Selection, Iteration, Arrays and Lists, Boolean Logic, Searching and Sorting Algorithms and Procedures and Functions. We also teach students about Spreadsheets and Databases as well as how computers work, the role of the CPU, how to use convert between Denary and Binary number systems.
At Key Stage 4 there are two options that the students can choose, either GCSE Computer Science, this has two components, both of which are assessed with a written exam at the end of the course. In the first component Computer Systems are taught where the focus is on the CPU, Memory, systems software, Networks and Ethical Cultural and Legal aspects. In the second component the focus is on Computational Thinking, Algorithms and Programming where students learn about Data Representation, Computational Logic and Programming Techniques. The second option students can choose is the BTEC Tech Award in Digital Information Technology. This course has three components, these comprise of two coursework units, one of which is on Spreadsheet Design and the other investigates Computer Interface Design. There is also a written exam in Year 11 in which students are examined on their knowledge of Effective Digital Working Practices.
At Key Stage 5 we offer the BTEC National in Information Technology, this popular and successful course has two coursework units covering Website Design and a unit on Social Media in Business. The examined units comprise of a five hour practical Database exam in Year 12 and a two hour written exam in Year 13 on Information Technology Systems.
Exam Board GCSE Computer Science OCR
Exam Board BTEC Tech Award Digital Information Technology
Exam Board BTEC National Information Technology
Websites for Computing and IT
- Seneca Learning - Watch the videos, read the information and answer the questions, computer marked and interactive. - https://app.senecalearning.com/classroom/course/b89946c5-cfe7-42d6-ae51-9b4631a07589/section/59c7511b-96c6-4df5-9463-d1e2c04d582b/session
- BBC Bitesize covers all of the Computing curriculum with videos to watch and computer marked tests. - https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/zvc9q6f
- Seneca Learning - Watch the videos, read the information and answer the questions, computer marked and interactive. https://app.senecalearning.com/courses?Price=Free&Subject=Computer+Science
- BBC Bitesize Covers all of the OCR Computer Science curriculum with videos to watch and computer marked tests.-https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/z34k7ty
- Craig ‘N’ Dave - YouTube Channel Covers all of the OCR Computer Science curriculum with videos to teach you everything on the syllabus. Very comprehensive resource aimed at level 5+ - https://www.youtube.com/c/craigndave/playlists
- Mr Brown CS - You Tube Channel Covers all of the OCR Computer Science curriculum with videos to teach you everything on the syllabus. Very comprehensive resource aimed at level 5+ - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsBxhDfwURg-vQASN2ZeHwg/playlists
- OCR Computer Science – Unit tests and quizzes, past papers - https://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/gcse/computer-science-j276-from-2016/planning-and-teaching/
KS4 BTEC DIT
- St Nicks IT and Media Videos and tutorials for BTEC DIT - https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLmyUnKEeJk-6gijRiVKEfcvZhwcj6LWpo&v=tewbD0YL_QU&app=desktop
- Mr Aliz Class Videos and tutorials for BTEC DIT, easy to follow walk throughs of Component 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-nCMz0xGwI&list=PLedr3UVfNWELEGr-7aupJ_qPQLzplLk1Y&pbjreload=10